UFC 249 results -- Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje: Fight card, highlights, complete guide
The UFC's return to action was a thrilling one, capped off by an epic main event lightweight showdown
In the middle of a period when professional sports has been brought to a halt by the coronavirus pandemic, the UFC took on the daunting task on Saturday night of serving as the first major professional sport in the country to return to action with the UFC 249 event in Jacksonville, Florida. The UFC entered the highly-publicized weekend with a stacked card but still forced with living up to some lofty expectations. In the end, it's safe to say that the UFC succeeded in providing the slightest bit of normalcy with action that we won't soon forget.?
The UFC 249 event, originally scheduled to take place on April 18 in Brooklyn, had everything a fight fan could have asked for. We witnessed an epic main event where a new interim lightweight champion was crowned after a systematic beating was delivered for nearly 25 minutes, a vicious, highlight-reel knockout in nearly the blink of an eye and even a shocking retirement. For myriad reasons, UFC 249 will go down in history.?
Can't get enough UFC??Subscribe to our podcast State of Combat with Brian Campbell?where we break down everything you need to know in the Octagon, including a complete recap of UFC249 below.
It was an amazing week from Jacksonville, and CBS Sports was with you every step of the away. Relive everything that went down this week in the lead up to the fight card, as well as the fight card itself, with our completed guide below.
UFC 249 fight card results
- Justin Gaethje def. Tony Ferguson via fifth-round TKO to win interim lightweight title -- Recap, highlights
- Henry Cejudo (c) def. Dominick Cruz via second-round TKO to retain bantamweight title --
- Francis Ngannou def. Jair Rozenstruik via first-round KO --
- Calvin Kattar def. Jeremy Stephens via second-round TKO (strikes) --
- Greg Hardy def. Yorgan De Castro via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) --
- Anthony Pettis def. Donald Cerrone via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) --
- Aleksei Oleinik def. Fabricio Werdum via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Carla Esparza def. Michelle Waterson via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 30-27)
- Vicente Luque def. Niko Price via TKO (strikes; doctor stoppage) --
- Bryce Mitchell def. Charles Rosa via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-24)
- Ryan Spann def. Sam Alvey via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
UFC 249 countdown
- , removed from card
- , Stephens misses badly
- Brookhouse: from the early prelims to the main event
- Brookhouse: against legends
- Campbell: came to be?
- CBS Sports HQ:?
- for the coronavirus
Kyle Marley just locked in picks for Harris vs. Overeem and every fight on the May 16 UFC Fight...
The light heavyweight showdown will highlight the UFC's second fight card in four days in Jacksonville
Brandon Wise just locked in UFC Fight Night picks for the main card.
Kyle Marley just locked in UFC Fight Night: Smith vs. Teixeira picks and MMA predictions for...
The main event isn't the only fight worth keeping an eye on this Wednesday
Mike McClure just revealed his optimal DraftKings and FanDuel picks for UFC Fight Night: Smith...
Teixeira inched himself closer toward another shot at the light heavyweight title with the...
'The Highlight' lived up to his name in stopping one of the toughest fighters the sport has...